Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Comments on the Third Presidential Debate

I post, in it's entirety, an excellent letter about tonight's debate.
From: ****@****.***
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 9:47 PM
To: ****@****.***
Subject: a post-debate confession....

So I just finished watching the last of the presidential debates...

I know we've got a decent tradition of moving past politics here and
getting to the core and deeply important values that we all share: those
of BEER and DARTS. However, I hope that you will begrudge me a small
moment of commentary and reaction to this whole great circus that we, as
Americans, call the selection of our leader.

There was much discussion of family in this debate, including especially
the wives and daughters of all of the candidates. From the heartfelt
exchange between Cheneny and Edwards over the fact that Cheney has a
lesbian daughter, to the repeated mention of Laura Bush, Teressa Kerry
and their daughters. And we have seen, as tonight's moderator aptly
mentioned, that all of these men have strong and meaningful women in
their lives. Especially I believe that Kerry's daughters have proved
themselves to be apt and competent in these matters. In fact, I'd love
to have dinner and extended conversation with Kerry's daughters, as they
appear to be quite intellectual and engaging women.

Now, while I believe that both sides in this contest are rich white men
who are entrenched political operatives, and we're again in a contest of
"lesser of 2 evils" that plagues America, I must also admit that I
have somewhat of a leftist leaning in these matters... but...

However, tonight I must say that in one way I'll have to break with my
core beliefs....

When it comes down to it, I'd really rather nail a Bush daughter (or
better yet, both Bush daughters) than Kerry's girls.

****
Well, maybe calling this an excellent letter was an overstatement, but it was a humorous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Given that this election is between the Lesser of Two Evils, I move we take only four more years of one evil, instead of eight years of the other evil.

And in four years, let us pray and hope that both of the Oligarchical Parties manage to nominate someone we can vote FOR.