Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Family, part II

I said something interesting the other night to Kristi, interesting in that I live by this, but may have never expressed it before. The something is, "You have to interpret my mothers actions through a filter of good intentions. "

She is one of those folks in life some people find annoying. I base this on the experience of myself, siblings, and girlfriends. She means well, I know her well enough to be absolutely certain of that. It's just she asks questions when others would rather not answer them, and she makes statements others might not make, and she has-at times-acted a bit oddly, though certainly never deranged nor dangerously. If you just looked at these actions, you might never see the person inside.

Her heart is good and very willing to share, but you have to look through the filter of her intentions. And if you cannot do that, you may not want to hang around.

1 comment:

joy said...

She has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I know. Once she decides to love you, she loves you no matter what. You may not see eye-to-eye with her, nor her with you, but you know she still loves you.

I think the important thing in dealing with anyone in family (or not in family), you need to stand firm in what you believe. So when asked a question you don't want to answer, don't. When a statement is made you might not make, you can agree or disagree or refrain from comment, just be truthful if you speak. And if someone acts oddly, well, so it goes...we all do at times.

Quite frankly, in your mom's case, well she raised 4 lovely children, and not always under peachy circumstances, and for that she deserves an enormous amount of respect. I say, cut her some slack.